Anxiety is a very common issue; it is in fact the most common of all mental health disorders and as many as one in four of us will be affected by an anxiety disorder at some point during life. Medication isn’t necessarily the answer, and natural treatment methods like using essential oils for anxiety can be very powerful.
Some anxiety in life is a normal reaction to stress. It is when anxiety is unremitting, not attached to a specific self-limiting circumstance or challenge, or when it impinges on daily quality of life that is becomes a problem.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety exists on the same spectrum as depression, yet it is not the same as depression. Anxiety can be generalized, related to a past stressful event (PTSD), cause panic attacks, or be related to socializing. It can present as specific phobias or as obsessive compulsive disorder.
Anxiety has an array of causes – including stress, thyroid problems and other hormone imbalances, trauma, genetics, poor diet, and dysfunctional serotonin in the brain.
Anxiety symptoms include excessive fear and worry, feeling tense or edgy, muscle tension, racing heart or a tight chest, dizziness, obsessive thinking, tingling arms or legs, hot flushes, headache, stomach upset, sleeplessness, restlessness, and many more.
Too often, medications are given as a first line of treatment for anxiety. While these can be very helpful and some people do require medication, some of these anxiety-specific medications are actually dangerous. There are many other natural ways exist to help alleviate anxiety and minimize or even prevent the need for medication at all. Even if you do require medication for anxiety, natural treatments can help enormously. Once you start using medication for anxiety, it can be very hard to wean off it.
How Can Anxiety be Treated Naturally?
- Drink chamomile tea
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, excess sugar and processed foods
- Maintain healthy blood sugar levels and eat regularly
- Supplement with magnesium, zinc, and Vitamin B12
- Aim to consume one to three grams of Omega-3s per day – from salmon, tuna, flax seeds, walnuts, soybeans, chia seeds, and spinach
- Eat a healthy clean diet full of whole foods – including oats, blueberries, avocadoes, eggs,
- Use essential oils for anxiety – see below
- Get outside into natural sunlight – go for a walk, sit in the garden, etc
- Exercise moderately
- Take a hot bath n Epsom salts and your favorite essential oil
- Be mindful and try to live in the moment
Top Essential Oils for Treating Anxiety
- Lavender – calming and relaxing
- Roman chamomile – decreases irritability, worry and over-thinking
- Valerian – calms, relaxes, and alleviates insomnia
- Rose – settles emotions
- Vetiver – tranquil and grounding
- Bergamot – reduces cortisone response to stress and reduces blood pressure
- Frankincense – grounding and tranquil, quiets the mind
Other helpful essential oils for anxiety include May Chang, Angelica, Basil, Clary Sage, Geranium, Sweet Marjoram, Lemon, Sandalwood and Ylang Ylang.
Anxiety can be disabling for many people. It can cause long term stress and physical health problems over time, and left untreated it can cause depression. Follow the above guidelines to alleviate and conquer anxiety for a better life, and choose essential oils including Artemis Therapeutics’ Valerian Oil to maintain calm.